The following information applies mainly to domestic dogs and cats. To obtain further information and advice about shipping your pet overseas or other animals, please contact your local Cathay Pacific Cargo office. Our staff will be happy to help you.
The majority of countries require the following documentation for pets travelling to or via their territory:
- Valid import/export permits from the relevant authority of the countries.
- Valid health certificate from a registered veterinarian, stating that the pet is free from rabies and any other diseases.
- Valid vaccination record to show that the pet has received all necessary vaccinations.
- Any additional documentation or validations required by the destination country.
- Transit permits and any other documentation required by the relevant authority of all transit countries.
Some countries require your pet to be microchipped and/or quarantined. Please ensure that you are fully aware of the specific requirements of your destination country.
Please note that these requirements vary from country to country and are subject to change. Please check with local authorities for specific documentary requirements of the destination country and any transit countries, please refer to the publications or websites of local authorities.
The construction and design of the containers must comply with the IATA Live Animals Regulations. In general, containers must be appropriately sized, well-ventilated, rigid and fitted with solid and leak-proof flooring. In addition, they must comply with the following regulations:
- Containers must be constructed of fibre-glass, metal, rigid plastics or welded metal mesh. No wooden cage is allowed.
- Containers must be clean and leak-proof.
- Any wheels attached to the container must be removed.
- Animals must be able to stand, turn and lie down in a natural manner.
- Containers must be adequately ventilated, with the majority of the ventilation system being situated in the upper part.
- Reversible drinking water bottle or water container must be present within the container with outside access for refilling. If reversible drinking water bottle is being used, please ensure your pet is familiar to using it.
- Separate food and water troughs should be provided and easily accessible for replenishment in case of delay.
- All feeding and watering instructions must be provided in writing and affixed to the outside of the container.